Saturday 13 September 2008

Bremen

Next stop on my travels was Bremen to see my step-Mum and her friend. I remember Bremen as having a beautiful old town and had always wanted to re-visit, so took full advantage of the opportunity!

I've decided never to travel with such a heavy suitcase again! It's such a nuisance! The trip from Hamburg, which was supposed to be by car with my aunt and uncle, turned out to be by train because of the end of the school holidays which could easily lead to 5 hour traffic jams. Not nice at all!! I was picked up at central station again, which was nice.

I was settled into my room and then we went for a little walk in the afternoon, around the place where my step-Mum's friend lives:
 
Unfortunately, by the next day the weather had turned to rain. But we persevered and went into town anyway, so I could have my photo taking session. Sooooooo beautiful! So beautiful in fact, that once my step-Mum and her friend had had enough, I stayed in town and wandered around again on my own for a few more hours:


Gorgeous, right? I don't think 230 photos is excessive. Much. I wonder if there's a non-tourist season when you can photograph the buildings without a crowd in front and all around you... Of course I need to come back to go to the immigration museum in Bremer Haven and see if our names are on the list, as well as visit some of the museums in town and apparently there's a castle not too far away, and....well, I gotta come back :-)

Some time during our conversations in Bremen, the subject of cheap airlines was brough up - specifically Ryan Air. I said that I'd always wanted to go to Stockholm and wondered how much a flight there was. It turned out to be under 100 Euro there and back - so what's a girl to do? Find out how much a hotel costs, of course! Next thing I knew, I'd booked a flight to Stockholm. Yay!

Stockholm will be the next entry, but first: We took a trip to the Rhododendron Park while the heath was blooming. Since I was born in the Lueneburger Heath, and have memories of walking in it with my relatives, it was nice to go and see it:


 
It was nice to have a little time during my stay here to get on the PC and start sorting photos and my first blog entry was from here too. I was also able to burn backups of my photos, just in case. I even went clothes shopping! OK, it was just for the cardigan I'm wearing in the above photo, but still. I also had to get my shoes fixed - even though I'd only just bought them for the trip, they'd seen so many miles that the stitching was already coming undone!

There are advantages to rainy days I guess!

So next stop in the story: Stockholm!